One of My Childhood Favorites: Texas Spaghetti



Hardee's first opened its restaurant in Hong Kong in 1990. It closed its last two shops in Hong Kong on December 27, 2006. Within 16 years, Hardee's left in my heart a few signature foods - curly fries, Texas Spaghetti and Mushroom Rice. I would say Hardee's was quite a success, as my mum didn't like fast food yet she wouldn't mind taking us to Hardee's.

Since I moved to North America (first Canada, then San Francisco), I have had more time for cooking. I looked for the recipe for my Texas Spaghetti but it was nowhere to be found. I also looked up Hardee's menu and finally realized what we had was a special Hong Kong menu! Lucky us!

I have cooked this spaghetti a few times already and my friends love it so much (they even call it "irresistible"!). I love it myself too! The taste brought back a lot of fond memories I had with my mum (especially because we both loved spaghetti). If you keep on reading my food blog, you will learn how much I love spaghetti, and perhaps you will also find out Hong Kong people love pasta much more than you expect.

Texas Spaghetti

By   (Published:

You will like this easy recipe for an impressive spaghetti with delicious aroma and exquisite taste!


My Texas Spaghetti


Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Yield: 4

Ingredients:
Spaghetti: 400g 
Ground beef: 400g 
Onion, chopped: half 
Mushroom, sliced: 200g (optional)
Tomatoes: 2 
Butter: 3 tablespoons 
Tomato soup: 160 ml 
Golden mushroom soup: 160 ml 
Mozzarella cheese: 1 cup 
Olive oil: 2 tablespoons 
Salt: 1 teaspoon 
Sugar: 1 teaspoon 


Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350*F.

2. Add spaghetti to boiling water. Cook according to the instruction time on the package. (The best time is probably one minute less than is indicated.) [Here, you may run the spaghetti under cold water to stop cooking and avoid sticking. Or skip this cold water step so that the spaghetti will absorb the sauce better.] Drain and set it aside. 

3. In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook until translucent.

4. Brown the meat. Add butter and mushroom halfway through.

5. Add tomatoes, tomato soup and golden mushroom soup. Cook until it bubbles.

6. Pour half of the mixture into the casserole. Then, add half of the cheese.

7. Add the remaining mixture into the casserole, then the remaining cheese.

8. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot throughout.


Texas Spaghetti in a 29.8cm x 23.8cm x 5.9cm baker pan
(I think this serves 4, do you think we eat too much?)

Hardee's in Central (Photo by: Apple Daily)


Hong Kong Hardee's last day
(I read the news about the closedown of Hardee's on that day
and immediately rushed to the shop.)


The last Hardee's meal I had in Hong Kong
(I wanted to order Texas Spaghetti, but it was sold out><!!!)

Texas Spaghetti and Mushroom Rice
 were probably the most popular food of the restaurant.




Do you like this recipe? I would love to hear from you. 


* You might like the following posts: 
 - "Red Date Water restores youth and vitality"
 - "Great party food: Enoki Beef Rolls"
 - "The most popular party food in Hong Kong"
 - "Lovely Dim Sum Siu Mai Dumplings"
 - "Cantopancake"

Comments

  1. It looks tasty. I've never eaten at a Hardees before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I haven't been at a Hardee's since the last day of HK Hardee's.

      Delete
  2. Hardees = Carl Jr in California

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts