Shanghainese Noodles with Mustard Greens and Pork 雪菜肉絲麵

A few weeks ago, I ordered a bowl of Mustard Greens Noodles at a Shanghainese restaurant but was not satisfied at all. The sesame oil was too strong and made me sick (literally)... Craving noodles, I decided to make it myself. To my surprise, I found some quality Shanghainese noodles in a Chinese supermarket! Now that I have my own perfect noodles, I don't think I will order it at any restaurant again.


Shanghainese Noodles with Mustard Greens and Pork 雪菜肉絲麵

Prep time: N/A 
Cook time: 15 min 
Total time: 15 min 
Yield: 4-6 servings



Ingredients: 
Pork, ground or shredded: 1 lb (~450g)
Pickled mustard greens (雪菜): 12 oz (~340g)
Shanghainese white noodles (陽春麵) (fresh, not dried): 2 lbs (~900g) 
Salt (or Chicken broth powder): 3 teaspoons
Water [for noodle soup]: 6 cups 
Sesame oil: a few drops (optional)
Red chili: to your taste (optional)


This is the noodles I have recently fallen in love with. I believe it is important to choose a locally made brand to ensure the freshness. You may buy dried noodles but the texture is very different from the fresh ones. I love the chewiness fresh noodles offer. 
Shanghainese white noodles 陽春麵/上海麵

Pickled mustard greens (also called salted/preserved mustard greens):
Pickled mustard greens 雪菜

Influenced by my father, I prefer the natural flavors given by the food itself to spices. Therefore, my recipe does not include marinade and there is no preparation time needed. If you want, you may marinate the pork briefly (for about 10 minutes) with a little salt (or soy sauce), sesame oil, and cooking wine. You may also notice that sesame oil and red chili pepper are both optional. I just don't want my noodles to have a flavor that is too strong, which will kill the tastes of the pork and mustard greens.

I usually eat quite a big bowl of noodles myself. The recipe will make four bowls of noodles for me. But if you or your family eat a smaller portion, you can have six bowls! 
With another brand of Shanghainese white noodles

Directions: 
  1. Boil a large pot of water (for noodles). [Note: Use a big pot to avoid water spills later when noodles are cooking.]
  2. Add noodles when the water boils. Cook according to the instructions on the package (about 3 minutes). Stir and separate the noodles for even cooking and to avoid sticking. 
  3. Drain the noodles and run them under cold water for better texture. Drain again and put the noodles into soul/noodle bowls or a big serving bowl.
  4. Heat a big skillet on medium high heat with a little oil. Stir fry the pork until almost all is brown. Drain the mustard greens and add it to the skillet. Add sesame oil and red chili pepper (both optional). 
  5. Continue to stir and mix for a few minutes or until you smell the mouth-watering aroma. Add 6 cups of water to the skillet. 
  6. Heat until it boils again. Add salt or chicken broth powder. Stir. 
  7. Pour the pork-vegetable-soup mixture over the noodles. Serve hot.

Comments

Popular Posts