Steamed Egg 蒸水蛋

I love eggs. So, of course, steamed egg is one of my favorite dishes. I can have my lunch or dinner with just steamed egg and a small bowl of rice.

Steamed egg is simple but may not be easy to make. I was lucky to have learnt the trick before I made my first steamed egg. I have never failed — not even once. And I would like to share the trick with you.

This is my very first steamed egg:
My first steamed egg

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients:
Eggs: 3
Water, warm: see directions
Green onion: a little (optional: for decoration)


Directions:
  1. Boil water in the steamer. 
  2. Crack eggs into a large bowl. Use the egg shell to add warm water into the bowl. [*Warm water is used for smoothness.] Egg/water ratio is 1:1. That means after you crack 3 eggs into the bowl, add water with volume of about 3 eggs into the bowl. Add salt to your taste. Mix well.
  3. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish. [You may oil up the dish before pouring in the mixture for easier cleaning later.] 
  4. Cover the dish with plastic wrap (so that the steam cannot affect the smoothness of the egg surface).
  5. When the water in the steamer boils, put the dish into the steamer. 
  6. Cook over low heat for 12 minutes. 
  7. Turn off heat, and let stand for a few more minutes.
  8. Serve hot with soy sauce. [*Cold soy sauce can immediately ruin the hot egg surface. You may take out the amount of soy sauce you need earlier, or pour it slowly on the edge of the dish.]
  9. Sprinkle with green onion (optional) for decoration.

Comments

Popular Posts